Defeating the Weed Menace R&D Program
Land & Water Australia. 2009. Defeating the Weed Menace R&D Program . [Online] (Updated August 19th, 2009)
Available at: http://lwa.gov.au/node/3209 [Accessed Tuesday 22nd of October 2013 07:46:51 AM ].
2006 - 2009
Land & Water Australia managed the R&D component, 2006-2009, of the Australian Government’s Defeating the Weed Menace program.
What is Defeating the Weed Menace
Defeating the Weed Menace was a national program established by the Australian Government in 2004.
Managed jointly by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry and the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, the program aimed to identify Australia’s most threatening weeds and to implement measures for their control.
For more information on the R&D program, download the Defeating the Weed Menace R&D brochure.
The Australian Weeds Research Centre launched in 2008 will continue to fund research into priority weed issues.
Download the latest papers
- Policy paper - Defeating the Weed Menace R&D: Ways forward in weeds research
- Weeds: One of Australia’s major environmental problems
The goals of the Defeating the Weed Menace R&D component were:
- To generate new knowledge to prevent the development of new weed problems
- To reduce the impacts of existing weeds of national priority
- To build the capacity for their management into the future.
The research and development component was strongly guided by the Draft Defeating the Weed Menace R&D Strategy and information on round one and round two projects is available in the project summary fact sheet.
The Defeating the Weed Menace research outcomes will be showcased in a series of roadshows, funded by the Australian Governments’ Australian Weeds Research Centre.
Upcoming events include:
- 30 July, Yeppoon, Queensland. This is a one day forum to immediately follow the Queensland Weed Symposium.
- 11 August, Campbell Town, Tasmania. Tasmanian Weeds Society and LWA are hosting a one-day forum.
- 15-17 September, Narrabri, NSW. 15th NSW Biennial Weeds Conference, “The Old and the New (changes in weed management)”, for more information: www.weedsconference.com
- 21 September, Darwin. LWA and the Northern Territory Government are presenting a one day forum at the Theatrette in the Museum and Art Gallery of the NT, Conacher St, Fannie Bay.
- Western Australian Weeds Conference on the 23-24 September 2009. The Conference will cover a broad range of significant outcomes from the Defeating the Weed Menace initiative.
- 7-8 October, Geelong, Victoria. 4th Victorian Weed Conference, ‘Plants behaving badly – in agriculture and the environment”, for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org, or Secretary Weeds Society Victoria, PO Box 987 Frankston, Vic 3199.
Contact the R&D Coordinator Dr Judy Lambert by email at email@example.com or by telephone on (02) 9948 7862.
For more information related to the control and management of weeds, including the Australian Weeds Strategy, Weeds of National Significance and National Weeds Management Facilitators, see the Weeds Australia website.